About the Blog

Educating fellow Jews about the sporting and defensive use of firearms. Especially Jews in North America, too many of whom are instilled with the belief that guns aren't for nice Jewish boys and girls.

If you know of notable Jewish shooters that should be documented on the blog, even if it is only at the local club level, I am happy to report and profile them. And don't be shy if that person to be documented is you! Please drop me a line at jewishmarksman at gmail dot com. Also follow me on twitter @JMarksmanship.

Friday, December 28, 2012

Jewish Marksman's Glock 19 Review

I recently wrote about my experience with a new Glock 17, and on my lunch hour today I played with a new model 19.  They are very similar, except the 19 is smaller in several dimensions.

Overall, I was not as thrilled with the 19 as I was the 17.  Not that there is anything wrong with the 19, but in the ways that matter to me, the 19 is inferior.  The sight radius is shorter, and today with overcast skies I had a hard time getting a good look at the sights.  The trigger on this gun is heavier and mushier than the 17, and I found myself nudging slightly left given how much force it takes to get the thing to fire.  It may be one of the worst triggers on a pistol I've ever handled.

Above is my target at 50 feet, two hands standing, about 60 rounds, some slow fire some semi-rapid fire.  Slow fire I basically shot out those two large holes, rapid fire was a little dicier as the lighter gun likes to jump a bit more than the 17.

Now I know some will say that at 50 ft. that is a good target for 60 rounds (mostly fitting in a dollar bill), but I'm used to them all in the 10 ring.  I think the sights may need just a nudge to the right for me, and I do have a sight pusher tool, but the verdict is not out yet as to where the problem lies.  I was not able to ring the 50 yard steel plate at the range as consistently as I could with the 17, even with a very slow and steady trigger pull.  I just had a hard time seeing that front sight center up in the rear, and the trigger took like forever to break.  (I know, I know, a Glock was not meant to be a target gun, and if I track the rear sight just a smidge right I'd have a nice ten-ring concentration and maybe wouldn't be complaining at all.....)  The elevation (vertical spread) of the shots does look pretty good, especially because I was doing some quicker shooter where elevation can be tough to keep tight anyway.

At the advice of one my readers I did order 3.5# connectors for both the 19 and the 17 and will install them soon.  From hundreds of reviews I've skimmed by others, this simple swap totally transforms the trigger feel of the gun and size of the groups one can produce, so I'm looking forward to that.  I'm also thinking to modernize at least one of the pistols with a 3-dot sighting system with night sights and start practicing for more speed at closer range as opposed to being "that guy" who likes ringing steel at 50 yards with a gun never meant for that purpose.  Kind of a culture change for me...

Last but not least, I left the range with more brass than I came with, which is always a good day for a frugal Jewish marksman!


No comments:

Post a Comment