About the Blog

Educating fellow Jews about the sporting and defensive use of firearms. Especially Jews in North America, too many of whom are instilled with the belief that guns aren't for nice Jewish boys and girls.

If you know of notable Jewish shooters that should be documented on the blog, even if it is only at the local club level, I am happy to report and profile them. And don't be shy if that person to be documented is you! Please drop me a line at jewishmarksman at gmail dot com. Also follow me on twitter @JMarksmanship.

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Jewish Marksman's Return to Smallbore

Over the weekend I shot a 1200 point smallbore match.  I brought out the Anschutz 1807 with aperture sights, which is very welcome change from using a post sight or the weird concoction I have on the Israeli Mauser.  I didn't have a chance for any practice before the match.

The first stage consisted of 20 shots at 50 yards, followed by 20 shots at 100 yards.  I got off to a fairly good start, shooting 98.5%, which would be an Expert score.  But as the match moved to a 40 shot 100 yard match, and then 40 at 50m, things went downhill, and I finished at 97.5%.

I think I lost about 6 points for failing to pick up wind changes at 100.  I could see my shots moving right, but lacked the confidence to know that it was the wind as opposed to my shooting technique, so I did not adjust when I should have.

Other than that, position wise, I think I lost some points by not having the rifle firm enough in my shoulder and not having a consistent head position.  Fellow shooters gave me some tips on that so I can work it out before the next match.  I also do not grip the rifle consistently, particularly as to where I put my thumb, but I don't think it made much difference.

1 comment:

  1. Good shooting! I need to shoot some smallbore. Improves the HP game. SB is so unforgiving if your position & follow-through isn't spot-on.

    ReplyDelete