About the Blog

Educating fellow Jews about the sporting and defensive use of firearms. Especially Jews in North America, too many of whom are instilled with the belief that guns aren't for nice Jewish boys and girls.

If you know of notable Jewish shooters that should be documented on the blog, even if it is only at the local club level, I am happy to report and profile them. And don't be shy if that person to be documented is you! Please drop me a line at jewishmarksman at gmail dot com. Also follow me on twitter @JMarksmanship.

Monday, July 23, 2012

Israeli Mauser Range Report

A couple weeks ago I used the Israeli Mauser as a match rifle in an NRA 100yd High Power match.  I have some bugs to tweak still, too numerous to mention.  But there were moments when I and the rifle performed really well together, and a few club members were surprised by the Mauser's accuracy.  The image above was my prone target.  I was still trying to get the windage zeroed during the match, and my head position was very inconsistent as I am still trying to find a good position on the rifle.  But you can see the gun generally groups well, and there were a few shot sequences where I got 3 or 4 shots on top of each other in a row before I made windage adjustments to try and zero.  Windage zero is very hard to get on the rifle because there are no clicks on the screw used for adjustment, so I have to move by trial and error.

I've hooked the Mauser up to the scatt system for dryfire practice, and that has been a big help in getting a consistent head position.  I've also been experimenting with different apertures in the Mojo sights. My offhand scatt scores are approaching the low 90% on the scatt, and I have a good feeling that in a few months I'll be able to shoot an Expert class score with this rifle.

I'll post more soon about the sling solution I came up with.

P.S. More than a few club members were surprised by how well the Israeli Mauser shot.  One fellow Jew in the club was downright proud.  We have LEO and former military who come to the club and it takes some time before they can shoot an AR-15 that well in competition.  One non-Jewish member expressed a keen interest in acquiring an Israeli Mauser as a result, partially because of the history but also the appeal of a Mauser action in .308.

P.S.S.  No idea what happened on the flier at 12 o'clock.

No comments:

Post a Comment