About the Blog

Educating fellow Jews about the sporting and defensive use of firearms. Especially Jews in North America, too many of whom are instilled with the belief that guns aren't for nice Jewish boys and girls.

If you know of notable Jewish shooters that should be documented on the blog, even if it is only at the local club level, I am happy to report and profile them. And don't be shy if that person to be documented is you! Please drop me a line at jewishmarksman at gmail dot com. Also follow me on twitter @JMarksmanship.

Thursday, June 5, 2014

Jewish Marksmanship Update and Scatt Analysis

Thanks to all those that have asked about my well being.  All is well.  As I mentioned in previous posts, work has been a bear, making weekend free time precious.  So for the time being matches take a back seat to daddy-daughter time.

However, I'm still training several times a week with the Scatt, focusing on the standing position.  I'm using a new laptop that has wifi (my old laptop died) so I can share screen captures now.   Here is a recent model shot, simulating 200 yards standing:
Time is represented by color, from Green->Yellow->Blue->Pink Shot->Red

If you follow the green line from the top left, you see I approach and actually first cross through the 10 ring but don't fire.  Should I have fired then?  The rifle looped up in the 9 ring (yellow line) and and crossed through the X ring (blue line).  As you can see, either the rifle was moving fast or my release wasn't early enough, so the shot hit just on the edge of the 10 (the pink dot).

I'm happy with the hold (more or less), but clearly I need to work on being more aggressive and get comfortable with firing as I see the rifle just cross the 9 ring.  By the time I see that 10 it's too late, the rifle is going to move out of the 10 if I can't find the courage and confidence to know it will be in the 10 when the shot goes.  From reading David Tubb's book, this is an especially important skill to develop for shooting standing in windy conditions.

No comments:

Post a Comment