About the Blog

Educating fellow Jews about the sporting and defensive use of firearms. Especially Jews in North America, too many of whom are instilled with the belief that guns aren't for nice Jewish boys and girls.

If you know of notable Jewish shooters that should be documented on the blog, even if it is only at the local club level, I am happy to report and profile them. And don't be shy if that person to be documented is you! Please drop me a line at jewishmarksman at gmail dot com. Also follow me on twitter @JMarksmanship.

Friday, September 14, 2012

L'shanah tovah; Israeli Mauser Progress and Tweaks

L'shanah tovah to all my readers!

This week I have only a brief status update.  Please be on the lookout for Jewish Marksmen/women for me to profile, it has been a while since I've shared anyone new with you and I need my readers' help!

Before the last High Power match, I added a slip-on rubber recoil pad to my Israeli Mauser.  I added the pad not for its recoil absorption (which I found to be minimal) but rather because the end of the butt stock is smooth metal and was slipping on my shooting coat, especially in the prone position.  The recoil pad has sticky rubber base that solved the problem.  I shot the match and scored 77%.  During rapid sitting I lost 20(!) points by not getting off 2 shots in time.  I still think an 85%-90% match is feasible with this 70 year old rifle.  The problem is not so much my bolt cycling speed, rather it is getting my head back into position after moving it out of the way of the bolt.  With the short sight radius, head position errors are unforgiving.  I am also tensing up a bit during the standing phase due to recoil.  My first five standing shots were 10s, but then I started anticipating recoil and the group opened up.  I'm going to try a regimen of visualization before the next match to avoid this accuracy killing tension.

I found that stabilizing the butt stock lead to more slippage on my shooting glove, exacerbated by the smooth finish on the stock.  So now I have added course grip tape used on skate boards to the bottom of the stock so my glove can really get a stable hold without me having to squeeze.  I also added a moleskin strip to the comb (the part of the stock where you rest your head) so my check can get a firm weld.

I am eager to make that 85% match happen so I can retire the Israeli Mauser to the safe for a while.  My new High Power match rifle is waiting patiently, and I'd also like to spend more practice time with my small bore prone rifle.  At the last prone match I performed some experiments and made some major changes in the position...although my score did not reflect it I think I made some major progress.

2 comments: