About the Blog

Educating fellow Jews about the sporting and defensive use of firearms. Especially Jews in North America, too many of whom are instilled with the belief that guns aren't for nice Jewish boys and girls.

If you know of notable Jewish shooters that should be documented on the blog, even if it is only at the local club level, I am happy to report and profile them. And don't be shy if that person to be documented is you! Please drop me a line at jewishmarksman at gmail dot com. Also follow me on twitter @JMarksmanship.

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Jewish Marksman Resolves to Conquer the Wind

"And Moses stretched out his hand over the sea, and the Lord led the sea with the strong east wind all night, and He made the sea into dry land and the waters split." Exodus Ch.1, v.21

Hashem parted the red sea with wind so that the Jewish people could escape their oppressors in Egypt. Nowadays, that same wind oppresses novice long range rifle shooters like me!

Last weekend I made it out for only the second time to a true High Power Match on a 600 yard range. At the 200 and 300 yard stages I shot my usual low Master scores, but 600 was a nightmare. I waited for breaks in the wind and hit a few 10s and Xs, but when forced to shoot in the wind I had no clue. My target saw 8s and even a 6!

I think I did the right thing by spending a couple years on reduced 100 yard courses, mastering basic technique. Having shot a few High Master scores, I know I can physically shoot a 10 on demand most of the time. My 2012 New Years resolution is to get out to more 600 yard matches and master the wind. For me, this means leaving the house at 4am to drive to a weekend 7am match two hours away! But if the Jews could spend years wandering the desert, I guess a couple hours drive isn't so bad...

2 comments:

  1. Yeesh... And I was complaining about shooting a 300 yard match in dead calm air. Maybe I just need better glasses. Post some pics of your targets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As for glasses, about a year or so ago I jumped an entire ranking class almost instantly when I got my eyes checked and learned I needed a slightly stronger prescription. I think it was only like .5 diopter and a little more rotation. Huge difference. I shoot with iron sights.

    ReplyDelete