About the Blog

Educating fellow Jews about the sporting and defensive use of firearms. Especially Jews in North America, too many of whom are instilled with the belief that guns aren't for nice Jewish boys and girls.

If you know of notable Jewish shooters that should be documented on the blog, even if it is only at the local club level, I am happy to report and profile them. And don't be shy if that person to be documented is you! Please drop me a line at jewishmarksman at gmail dot com. Also follow me on twitter @JMarksmanship.

Saturday, June 19, 2010

SCATT, the AR-15 Rifle, and a Scene from a Typical Jewish Home

I've mentioned that my main focus lately has been Service Rifle competition using the AR-15. My practice routine consists entirely of dry-firing every night with a SCATT system (you can order one from CenterShot). I put on my shooting coat and glove and right in the comfort of our bedroom take between 10 and 100 shots on my own private range! Our 6 mo. old daughter loves watching abba (dad) do this as emma (mom) watches TV. We can all still chat, or I can keep an eye on the baby, which I couldn't do with air rifle training in the garage. I think it's great that boobah will grow up thinking this is a normal and expected routine in a Jewish household! I can't wait for the call from the school when the kids draw pictures of their daily lives at home and abba is depicted laying on the floor with a big black rifle.

The SCATT system is amazing. Essentially, it records the path the muzzle of the gun takes, and estimates where the shot would hit. It is a precise system, always on call for me, and my scores closely match what I end up shooting in matches. After each shot, I can graphically see what my muzzle is doing, which allows me to make adjustments and track improvements. It also provides a variety of statistics. For example, it tells you what your score would have been had you released the trigger at given points in time, on average. For example, my scores jumped about 5 points once I realized that my shot releases needed to happen a second or so earlier in my hold, something that was not visibly obvious to me. Particularly with the seated and prone positions with a sling, the SCATT allows me to see my pulse-beat's effect on the target and tweak my position to minimize it. One of the coolest features is the audio, which emits a tone pitched to how close you are to the 10 ring, which really helps to develop recognition of the perfect sight picture. SCATT systems aren't cheap, but they pay for themselves in terms of ammo savings and range time--they drastically reduce the need for either. It turns boring dry-fire practice into a fun video game.

No comments:

Post a Comment